St. Peter's Church

1010 East Newark Drive

St. Peter's Church, built in 1855, was the first Catholic community in Farmington. In 1861, the church was replaced with a fieldstone structure. The apse is formed with a half-octagonal shape, unusually beautiful and difficult to create out of the irregularly-shaped fieldstones. Darker stones were used in a decorative manner to fashion the shape of a cross on the exterior front wall. Used for only a few years, the parish was discontinued in 1879. Still in existence next to the church is the fieldstone public school building, built in 1874 and used for fifty years. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is a Washington County Landmark.

Lizard Mound Park

2121 County Highway A

Cheeseville

912 County Highway A

Cheeseville is a crossroads hamlet named for the 1881 Cheeseville Dairy. Cheeseville School was the first school in the county to have indoor plumbing. The present school building is the third Cheeseville School, built of brick in 1912. It is now a private home. Across from the school is the beautiful 1862 fieldstone farmhouse.

Turner Hall

523 County Highway H – Fillmore

The Turn Verein (Turners) Society, a German athletic and intellectual group, was organized in 1862 and built the Hall in 1867. It became the cultural center for the Saxony immigrants. There were plays and concerts by the local brass band and singing groups, and it became an important part of Fillmore's early social life. The Fillmore Turner Society was officially organized in 1930 and today manages the grounds which are used for weddings, parties, and baseball.

Saxonia House

421 County Highway H – Fillmore

St. John of God Church

1488 Highland Drive

Boltonville Reliance Flouring Mills

9298 Boltonville Road – Boltonville

Early settlers Harlow Bolton, Asa Varney and William H. Willis took advantage of the energy of water and built a grist mill in 1854. A dam was built several hundred yards upstream to form a pond. The Mill's huge grinding wheels were powered by running water through a narrow channel which the miller controlled by opening and closing gates as needed. The Mill was the first structure built in the village of Boltonville, followed by the saltbox homes that the Yankee immigrants built.

Reliance Roller Mills operated for decades. Ben Wierman took over in 1914, calling it the Boltonville Mill. The Mill was sold to Random Lake Co-op in 1956. It is still in operation today as Tom's Old Country Mill. The Boltonville Mill is a Washington County Landmark.

Oddfellow Hall

1325 Scenic Drive – Boltonville

The Independent Order of Oddfellows Lodge 96 was originally organized in Barton in 1870. In 1888, they built a meeting hall of their own in Boltonville. By 1900, the group disbanded and sold the building to Modern Woodman Sunrise Camp 2256 for $800. This front-gabled Italianate building was constructed of locally-made brick.

Free Will Baptist Church/St. John's UCC

1332 Scenic Drive – Boltonville

In 1872, Yankee settlers organized the Free Will Baptist Society of Boltonville and built this church which was dedicated in 1873. In the 1880s, the building was home to a Sunday school for as many as 80 students and a church group named “Ladies of Boltonville.” It was also the location of the Literary Society of Boltonville, which maintained the first public library in the community, as well as the meeting place of the local temperance group. The church later became St. John's United Church of Christ. It is now a private residence. This former church is a Washington County Landmark.

Orchard Grove

County Highways H & HH

This crossroads hamlet was the home of the Wescotts, the first family who settled the area. It is the site of the first County cheese factory, built in 1871. The cemetery is the historic first community cemetery with graves of some of the earliest settlers, some born in the 18th century. The brick schoolhouse is a private home today. Orchard Grove is the childhood home of author Glenway Wescott.

Scroll To Top Arrow Icon